Be part of Cambridge’s first cohousing community
K1 is a planned cohousing community in Orchard Park, Cambridge.
We are a growing group of households about to embark on Cambridge’s first cohousing community; with support from Cambridge City Council, our developer partner ‘TOWNhus’ and our professional advisor ‘Instinctively Green’, forty two properties will be built ranging in size from 1 bedroom apartments to 4 bedroom houses in a design that promotes sustainable living and community cohesion.
Cohousing means that the community is central to the design, both of the site as a whole and of the individual homes. We will have a common house where we can share meals and have social events or just get together and chat. We’ll have communal gardens where there will be space for residents to relax, children to run, food to be grown, games to be played, and gardeners to get creative.
Cambridge City Council, in collaboration with K1 members, chose developer ‘TOWNhus’ in 2015– a partnership between UK developer ‘TOWN’, Swedish house builder ‘Trivselhus’ and Cambridge architects “MOLE”– to build our properties. We will have warm, comfortable and sustainable homes, built using the tried and tested, highly efficient Trivselhus system. The estimated completion date is June 2018.
Is this for you?
We are looking for potential buyers to become members of our community, who will:
- be actively involved in the creation of a new sustainable community;
- own a new-build home that is well made, green and economical (low energy consumption);
- purchase a unique home within average market prices for Cambridge CB4;
- take part in community activities;
- enjoy the benefits of being part of a community.
What to do next?
- You can find out more about us on the About K1 page.
- Listen to an interview with long-standing member Miranda here.
- If you have questions, please check the Questions and answers page.
- To explore further, please contact us.
- To join the K1 project, please see the Joining K1 page.