Cambridge’s first cohousing community
Marmalade Lane is a planned cohousing community in Orchard Park, Cambridge. It will be home to K1 Cohousing, a growing group of households who have come together to create Cambridge’s first cohousing community.
With support from Cambridge City Council, our developer partners TOWN and Trivselhus and our professional advisor ‘Instinctively Green’, 42 properties will be built ranging in size from 1 bedroom apartments to 4 bedroom houses in a design that promotes sustainable living and community cohesion.
Cohousing means that the community is central to the design, both of the site as a whole and of the individual homes. We will have a Common House where we can share meals and have social events or just get together and chat. We’ll have communal gardens where there will be space for residents to relax, children to run, food to be grown, games to be played, and gardeners to get creative.
In 2015, Cambridge City Council, in collaboration with K1 members, chose developer ‘TOWNhus’ –
a partnership between UK developer TOWN and Swedish house builder Trivselhus with a design team led by Cambridge architects Mole – to deliver Marmalade Lane.
Marmalade Lane will have warm, comfortable and sustainable homes, built using the tried and tested, highly energy efficient Trivselhus system and customised by the residents using TOWN’s custom build process. The estimated completion date is June 2018.
We’re looking for new members to join us on this adventure – take a look at our stunning designs and available properties, contact us for more information, and most importantly meet us. Become part of something that will transform the way you live!
Is this for you?
We are looking for potential buyers to become members of our community, who will:
- be actively involved in the creation of a new sustainable community;
- own a new-build home that is well made, green and economical (low energy consumption);
- purchase a unique home within average market prices for Cambridge CB4;
- take part in community activities;
- enjoy the benefits of being part of a community.
What to do next?
- You can find out more about us on the About K1 page.
- Listen to an interview with long-standing member Miranda here.
- If you have questions, please check the Questions and answers page.
- To explore further, please contact us.
- To join the K1 project, please see the Joining K1 page.